Matt and I had a hard time picking this month’s Whiskey of the Month. I had received three samples of the Rare Character whiskeys – all of them are rye whiskeys. This was our favorite of the three and we thought it might be the whiskey of the month. I also received the Michter’s Bomberger’s Bourbon and Shenk’s Sour Mash bottles this month and we really like the Bomberger’s. We decided to do a blind tasting with the ADHD Fishing, Bomberger’s and Barker’s Mill Bourbon, as we really liked that Bourbon as well. The ADHD Fishing was our favorite by a narrow margin over the Bomberger’s. Here are our tasting notes.
ADHD Fishing Rye
Age: Six Years, Six Months
- Mike: Rye grass, lots of vanilla, lemon and apricot fruit, allspice and oak wood.
- Matt: Caramel and marshmallows, sweet strawberries, and oak wood.
- Mike: Rye grass, apricots and lemon zest, cinnamon, nutmeg and sweet oak wood. Tasted with a dried cranberry and the spices and oak are enhanced. Tasted with a pecan and notes of chocolate and ginger come out to join the party.
- Matt: Caramel and brown sugar, a very buttery mouth feel with a cookie crumble note, oak wood. The dried cranberry brings out strawberries and lemonade fruitiness with cardamom spice and oak wood. The pecan made it amazing with caramel and banana nut bread and oak wood.
- Mike: Long with oak, rye grass, citrus and cinnamon spice. The dried cranberry made the finish very spicy with cinnamon. The pecan made the finish very long with oak wood, chocolate, ginger spice and lingering citrus notes.
- Matt: Long with oak wood, tobacco and cocoa notes. The dried cranberry brought out notes of cinnamon and chai tea spiciness. The pecan made the finish very long with oak wood and tobacco and a hint of chocolate.
I would pair this fine Rye whiskey with a cigar rich in vanilla and chocolate notes in the smoke. I would reach for a Padron 1964 Anniversary Maduro wrapper and be quite content with the pairing.
Photos Courtesy of Rosemary Miller