This month, I decided to let Matt Kohorst pick our whiskey of the month. He decided to pick four whiskeys that were new to us and taste them. He then decided what will be the whiskey of the month for April. It was a close call and several tastes were made, but in the end, Matt chose the newly released Michter’s Barrel Proof Rye 2022. Matt loves a good rye whiskey and this bottle ticked all of his boxes. Full bodied with lots of rye flavor and spice. I also like it because it has some very nice citrus and caramel notes. It is a well-balanced whiskey. Rosemary loves this whiskey in a Manhattan cocktail because the whiskey holds its own with the vermouth and bitters. It is a great choice for whiskey of the month for April 2022.
Michter’s Barrel Proof Rye 2022 Release
Age: No Age Statement
- Mike: Rye grass, lots of caramel and orange zest with sweet oak wood.
- Matt: Rye grass, vanilla cream, orange zest and baking spices with sweet oak wood.
- Mike: Rye grass, orange zest, cinnamon and nutmeg with some sweet oak wood. When tasted with a dried cranberry and notes of chocolate join the mix of flavors. Tasted with a pecan and the chocolate and cinnamon spice are enhanced.
- Matt: Rye grass and creamy vanilla with orange zest and baking spices. The dried cranberry made the mouthfeel very creamy and enhanced the vanilla. The pecan brought out notes of tobacco leaves, toasted nuts and cocoa.
- Mike: Long with oak and rye grassiness and a hint of chocolate. The dried cranberry added some lingering orange zest to the finish. The pecan enhanced the spice with distinct flavors of cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Matt: Long with oak, baking spices and tobacco. The dried cranberry made the finish very creamy. The pecan brought out notes of dark chocolate.
I would pair this fine rye whiskey with a full bodied cigar with lots of vanilla and earthy tobacco in the smoke. I would reach for a Padron 1964 Serie Maduro cigar and make it a long one because I want to enjoy this whiskey for a long time.
Photos Courtesy of Rosemary Miller