This Kentucky Straight Rye whiskey is from the Rabbit Hole Distillery in Louisville, Kentucky. The mash bill recipe is 95% rye and 5% malted barley. The Distillery states that they put the whiskey into the barrel at a low entry proof, and this three year old Rye whiskey is bottled at 95 proof. I recently received this bottle from the Distillery. Matt and I sat down and tasted this whiskey and here are our tasting notes.
Rabbit Hole Boxergrail Kentucky Straight Rye
Age: 3 years old
- Mike: Rye grass, vanilla, apricots, baking spice and oak.
- Matt: Vanilla, grassy, oak and raisin.
- Mike: Rye grass, vanilla, apricots, cinnamon and white pepper. Tasting a dried cranberry highlights the rye grass and vanilla and brings out lots of pepper. Tasting with a pecan brings out caramel notes and oak.
- Matt: Vanilla, raisin, rye and cherry. The dried cranberry emphasized the vanilla and rye and brought out cayenne pepper. The pecan brought out notes of peanut butter, cayenne pepper and molasses.
- Mike: Medium long with oak and spice. The dried cranberry made the finish very spicy with pepper and oak. The pecan made the finish long and dry with oak and pepper.
- Matt: Oak, tobacco and vanilla. The dried cranberry emphasized the vanilla and oak and brought out cherrywood notes. The pecan brought out oak and molasses notes.
I would pair this youthful Rabbit Hole Rye whiskey with a My Father Le Bijou 1922 Petit Robusto cigar. The bold, flavorful, spiciness of the smoke will complement the rye grass, vanilla and spice of the whiskey.
Photos Courtesy of Rosemary Miller