The Dread River Distilling Company is located in Birmingham, Alabama. This Limited Edition Master Series Bourbon was selected and blended for Dread River by Eboni Major, the former Master Blender for Bulleit. According to Dread River’s website, Ms. Major is a Birmingham native and selected Kentucky Straight Whiskeys distilled in October 2017 and January 2019. The Bourbon was bottled in Birmingham at 100 proof. Matt and I tasted the whiskey and here are our tasting notes.
Dread River Master Series Bourbon Whiskey, No. 1
Age: No Age Statement
- Mike: Caramel corn, baking spices and oak wood.
- Matt: Corn, caramel, dark cherries and oak wood.
- Mike: Caramel, ripe apples, cinnamon, nutmeg and oak wood. Tasted with a dried cranberry and a maple syrup note comes through. Tasted with a pecan and chocolate and pepper spice come out.
- Matt: Sweet corn, caramel, brown sugar, and oak wood. The dried cranberry brought out Lemonhead candy and cherries. The pecan brought out maple syrup and peanut butter.
- Mike: Long with oak wood and cinnamon spice. The dried cranberry made the finish sweeter with lingering maple syrup. The pecan made the finish very spicy with oak and pepper spice.
- Matt: Long with oak, tobacco and lingering caramel. The dried cranberry added some baking spice to the finish. The pecan made the finish very pleasant with buttered pecan, allspice and oak wood.
I would pair this Bourbon with a cigar that has rich tobacco and vanilla in the smoke. I would reach for a Jaime Garcia Reserva Especial cigar.
Photos Courtesy of Rosemary Miller