The Hard Truth Distillery in Nashville, Indiana, is making some excellent sweet mash, 100% rye whiskey. This is another bottle of rye that was sent to me earlier this year. It has been in the running for the whiskey of the month for February, along with the chocolate malt rye that I still need to review. It tastes much older than the two year old age statement and Matt and I really liked this expression of Hard Truth rye. Matt and I tasted it and here are our tasting notes:
Hard Truth 2022 Master Distiller’s Reserve Chocolate Malt Mash Rye Whiskey
Age: Two Years Old
- Mike: Rye grass, caramel, butterscotch, baking spices and oak wood.
- Matt: Rye grass, herbal tea, honey, lemon, oak wood.
- Mike: Rye grass, vanilla, caramel, coffee, white pepper and oak wood. Tasted with the dried cranberry and ripe apple fruit comes out to join the party. Tasted with a pecan and dark chocolate notes come out.
- Matt: Rye grass, caramel, peanut butter, candied almonds, and oak wood. The dried cranberry brought out notes of an Almond Joy candy bar with chocolate and almonds and a bit of tart cherry. The pecan brought out flavors of a caramel Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup.
- Mike: Long with oak wood and black coffee. The dried cranberry made the finish sweeter with oak, spice and lingering apple fruit. The pecan made the finish very long with oak wood and chocolate.
- Matt: Medium long with oak and cocoa powder. The dried cranberry brought out vanilla in the finish. The pecan made the finish very long with oak wood, peanuts and caramel.
I would pair this Rye whiskey with a cigar that has a lot of vanilla and chocolate in the smoke. I would reach for my favorite My Father The Judge cigar.
Photos Courtesy of Rosemary Miller and Maggie Kimberl