Resurgens Single Malt Rye is from the ASW Distillery in Atlanta, Georgia. The distillery was founded by Jim Chasteen, Charlie Thompson and Justin Manglitz, all graduates of the University of Georgia. They use pot stills in the Scottish tradition to make their whiskey. That explains why they chose to malt their rye grain and make it a single malt rye whiskey. Rosemary found this product on Seelbach’s website and purchased a bottle. Matt and I sat down and tasted it and here are our tasting notes.
Resurgens Single Malt Rye
Age: No Age Statement
- Mike: Rye grass, malt, vanilla, cherries and oak wood.
- Matt: Vanilla, malted rye, cherries and oak wood.
- Mike: Rye grass, malt, vanilla, cherries and dates, pepper spice and oak wood. Tasted with a dried cranberry and it takes the fruit out of the taste and enhances the vanilla and oak. Tasted with a pecan and the pepper and oak are enhanced.
- Matt: Strawberry cheesecake, rye grass, sweet corn, and oak. The dried cranberry added a note of caramel. The pecan added notes of leather.chocolate and a little smokiness.
- Mike: Medium long with oak, pepper and lingering fruit sweetness. The dried cranberry made the finish very peppery. The pecan made the finish very long and dry with oak and pepper.
- Matt: Medium long with oak and pepper spice. The dried cranberry added some lingering caramel sweetness. The pecan made the finish very long with oak, leather and lingering smokiness.
I would pair this Rye whiskey with a cigar that has vanilla and earthy tobacco flavors in the smoke. I would reach for a NUB Habano wrapper cigar.
Photos Courtesy of Rosemary Miller