This whiskey is made at the Spirits of French Lick Distillery in West Baden Springs, Indiana. Alan Bishop is the talented Master Distiller who works hard to create an Indiana style of Bourbon. This Bourbon was distilled using Alan’a Amanda Palmer heirloom corn. I received this bottle as a gift from Tom Uhl at The Office Cigar Lounge in Floyds Knobs, Indiana. The Office is a great cigar lounge. Matt and I sat down and tasted this bourbon and here are our tasting notes.
Spirits of French Lick Hindostan Falls Barrel Series Bourbon, selected by The Office
Age: 4 and 1/2 years
- Mike: Corn, vanilla, apricots, nutmeg and oak.
- Matt: Vanilla, buttered corn, rose water and strawberry.
- Mike: Corn, vanilla, apples and apricots, nutmeg and ginger, with oak notes. Tasting a dried cranberry enhances the apple and brings out cinnamon flavor. Tasted with a pecan and the vanilla becomes caramel with a hint of chocolate.
- Matt: Vanilla bean, berries and oak wood. The dried cranberry emphasized the berries and oak and brought out a tobacco flavor. The pecan brought out notes of caramel, oak, berries, corn and peanuts.
- Mike: Medium long with oak and ginger. The dried cranberry brought out more oak and cinnamon with lingering apple notes. The pecan made the finish very long and dry with oak and chocolate without any lingering sweetness.
- Matt: Oak wood and oily with the flavor of burnt peanuts. The dried cranberry brought out oak, oiliness and tobacco. The pecan produced the same finish— long with oak, oiliness and tobacco notes.
I would pair this Bourbon whiskey with a cigar I purchased at The Office Cigar Lounge—the Ferio Tego Timeless Panamericana. The rich vanilla and cedar spice of the smoke would complement the corn and vanilla flavors in the Bourbon.
Photos Courtesy of Rosemary Miller